C3NiT explores new findings in the area of III-N electronics to enable increased capacity and efficiency in communication, sensor and power systems. The center uniquely encompasses research ranging from basic material research to advanced device concepts and integrated circuits. The research is performed in close collaboration between academia, industry, and public authorities ensuring the provision of competence as well as the relevancy for industrial competitiveness and societal challenges.
To deliver novel solutions for high-frequency and high-power applications using III-nitride technology by performing research and innovation that combines new findings within the value chain from material to devices and circuits. In this way C3NiT will be a preferred partner for academia, industry, and public agencies in Sweden and Europe to perform research and development on III-nitride technology to challenge and outperform commercial solutions.
Short-term goals (1-5 years)
- To develop and strengthen the cluster in terms of more efficient collaboration and by attracting new industrial partners.
- To use the existing innovation systems at LiU and Chalmers to accelerate knowledge transfer to the industrial partners.
- To define new areas where III-N electronics can be utilized and initiated activities in these areas.
- To initiate new research activities motivated by requirements posed by industrial collaboration.
- To promote the mobility between industry and academia by encouraging and supporting long term stays, guest lecturing, supervision etc.
- To develop the research infrastructures (for material growth and characterization; device and circuit fabrication and characterization) at academia to be able to support relevant industrial collaborations.
- To initiate and attract new international academic collaboration partners, through the research programs in the center.
Long-term goals (10 years)
- To perform research that is relevant and directly transferable to industrial partners at different levels in the supply chain, which is evidenced by adoption of process and technologies, standardization, new products, growing SMEs, new spin-offs, and IP (patents and licenses).
- To educate researchers and engineers with relevant knowledge and experience, as evidenced by PhDs employed by the industrial partners. These people will have the capability of utilizing research results in an industrial environment. In this way they can secure an efficient method of knowledge transfer and will promote further collaborations between academia and industry.
- To contribute to new research areas which have attracted funding to academia.
- To contribute to the availability of III-N electronics for the industrial partners by supporting the growth of a Swedish and European supply-chain.
- To initiate and follow cutting edge research in III-N based electronics as evidenced by publications and invited talks.